Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Day 6, Ostia Antica

There are a lot of pictures to go along with this day because everywhere you looked you would find something that swept you off your feet.. it was so enchanting. 

I don't know why it's taken me so long to complete these Italy posts.... It feels like I was there a lifetime ago.. (though it has only been 4 months) I guess it's probably because my life and mindset are so different now, to what they were "back then". So much has changed in such a short amount of time and it's really rattled my soul. It feels like I am writing the experience of a completely different person. And that exceedingly bothers me.
Anyway, I was pretty familiar with the itinerary for the trip up until this day. (I actually thought that we would be going to Florence this day!) But during dinner a night or two before, I learned that we would be taking a morning stop to check this place out instead. I knew nothing about any of the history behind this place or what to expect, but all the guides we had on the trip were so good about being extremely informative and keeping the place enticing as hell. I sound like a chump saying this... but guides are seriously the way to go. It always makes the experience so much better. I mean it.
Ostia Antica is the ancient (3rd century BC) harbor city of Rome located (then) at the mouth of the Tiber river. It's obviously been really well preserved.
(our tour guide had the cutest little accent and looked like James Franco)
 (there were animals here too, just like in Pompeii!)


 ^ public (and only) restrooms back then... you can also see the draining system on the ground in front of the toilets. our guide explained that a lot of the time people would get their slaves to sit on the seat to warm it up for them before use (!!!)