Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Maybe not the best year..

DAY 1
I had to figure out a ride to ACL on Friday. Kevin went again for the second weekend because tickets were cheap, so I asked him if he could take me. We stopped at Chuy's before. I felt really sick so I ate like 2 bites and then packaged up the rest hoping to give it to a homeless guy along the way. (to no avail... it ended up in the trash) He parked at his office at 4th and Congress and we walked to the shuttle which took us pretty much to the festival gates. I'm really impressed that a service like that was offered for free. I was still feeling sick/weird but I was trying to play it off. Once we got there I wanted to get a little closer for Pinback and he wanted to find Alexandria, aka that was the last time I saw him all weekend.

After Pinback I met up with my mom & Diana at Fun. And I feel like if you play between the hours of 3-5pm I'm not going to enjoy your show because I'm bound to be tired and way to god damn hot to enjoy it. So sorry Fun, I had a horrible time watching you. sry bout it.

Afterward my mom asked me to see The Blind Boys of Alabama with her and they sure were precious. I danced a lot and asked her if they were all really blind. After every song, one of the men would say, "That one's also on the album." Every song. .....And then he goes, "Justin, come on out! Justin produced our latest album everyone." And so Justin comes out and plays guitar for the rest of the set. Two songs in and I realize that Justin is Bon Iver Justin and am just quietly freaking out to myself as I am surrounded by a bunch of old dads (& my mom) who don't know who they are 50 feet away from right now. I'm pretty sure his appearance was hush hush, because there would've been at least 900 kids at that stage if they knew.

We then stood for a couple Black Angels songs and met Daddy and Jake for Arctic Monkeys... my favorite of the day. But is Alex Turner a cheesy old dad, or what?

We left Arctic Monkeys early for Depeche Mode, which I regret. Jake said that Depeche should've started with Just Can't Get Enough.... and ended with....... Just Can't Get Enough.... and only played Just Can't Get Enough for every other song. And my dad said, "I told Jake my friends and I weren't ones to beat people up, but if we were to, I'd be because they listened to Depeche Mode." And my mom had the BEST time. So that's all that matters. :) Afterward we broke off Jake and Mom, me and Dad and drove to Kerbey Lane to eat. I was so exhausted I was shaking.

DAY 2
Day two started with a stop at the Phillips 66 which was along the way to the festival from where we always park. My mom said the beer was too expensive inside and that she wanted to chug one before going in. Which is so illegal and even more hilarious. We got in to see Portugal, and I remember almost none of the show, other than them playing a song that's in Always Sunny (and this is only because Jake kept going on and on about it). We then got food, (I collectively ate about 4 P. Terry's veggie burgers over the course of two days) beer, and I got a watermelon popsicle. I tried to meet up with Matty, only to discover I had no service at the food tents.

We went to see Passion Pit where we were set up camp at the stage where The Cure would be playing later that night. It was a fucking mess of people and a girl who was pretty drunk and maybe in her mid twenties came up to Jake and started talking to him (this was the second time today that he got hit on at the festival). I later heard my mom joke-yelling at her that he was only 13 and that he didn't have any drugs. Jake told me that she started talking to him and then asked him how old he was. "I'm 13." "You're 18???" "No I'm 13--" "Do you have any coke in your backpack?" Jake was like, "So that's cool that I kinda look like a drug dealer." *sarcastically*

Then he and I went to see Kendrick Lamar, which was baller, and then went back to watch The Cure. We walked to the other side of the park to see some of Kings of Leon. It started to rain though, so we walked back to see the end of The Cure and dance in the rain with everyone there.

Because it rained so hard on Saturday night, Austin was pretty flooded come Sunday, so they canceled the third day. Which fucking sucked because White Denim was scheduled to play that day and my uncle was going to give me his VIP pass because he had to leave for San Francisco a day early.