Tuesday, January 24, 2017

The end of 2016.

WHAT WERE YOUR TOP FIVE MOMENTS OF THE YEAR?No matter what awfulness went down on the world stage, I know that there are things you achieved or experienced that were uplifting, transformative, and expansive. What were they? 1. Fostering. 2. Meeting Shayna and taking a class with her. 3. My bravery through what has been one of the most difficult and painful times in my life. 4. Getting my first "real" job in Portland. Yay! 5. Connecting with new friends in Portland.

WHAT ARE YOU REALLY GLAD IS OVER?It could be that toxic relationship, a stagnant job, a shitty living situation, or a frenemy showdown. We all have stuff that we’re oh so glad is now in the rear-vision mirror. What’s yours? My relationship with Nick. So glad to be able to move on each day. Also just really glad that this year is over and I have a fresh slate of a year to work with. 2016 was so full of horrific, disgusting, and emotional draining things.

HOW ARE YOU DIFFERENT TODAY THAN YOU WERE 365 DAYS AGO?What did your life look like a year ago? How did you act, stand, and talk, and how is it different to the you sitting here today? For me, this list is as long as my arm… And yet, there is always more to change, to strive towards, to become. So different. So, so different. I can't wait to see where/how I'll be a year from now. 

IS THERE ANYTHING YOU ACHIEVED THAT YOU FORGOT TO CELEBRATE?A lot of us are very guilty of this: rushing from moment to moment, without taking a moment to acknowledge how much we’ve done. The result? We end up exhausted. Take a minute to congratulate yourself for all that you accomplished this year. Getting through it all? I wasn't sure I would be able to, so it's kind of amazing that I'm here typing this right now. 

WHAT HAVE YOU CHANGED YOUR PERSPECTIVE ON THIS YEAR?Did you make a friend, have a conversation, or watch a documentary that changed how you see the world? Was it a shift that was a long time coming, or did it take you by surprise? Do you think it will guide your behaviour in 2017?Since my whole life was turned upside down in 2016, life plans and my entire life perspective changed. There were a lot of new, very uncomfortable and painful changes that happened that I didn't really know how to deal with. 

WHO ARE THE PEOPLE THAT REALLY CAME THROUGH FOR YOU THIS YEAR?Sometimes we’re surprised by the people that stand by us, and the ones who drift away. Let’s take some time to be thankful for those who stayed true, who gave us their attention, and loved us just as we are. Hali, my parents, my aunt, my godmother. Wow. Just so many amazing people -- friends and family. 

WHAT IS SOMETHING YOU TOLERATED FOR A LONG TIME, BUT NOW YOU WILL NOT?Was there a straw that broke the camel’s back this year? What unacceptable behaviour do you now draw the line at — both your own and other people’s? Not taking care of myself. Not listening to myself. Not doing good things for myself. Allowing people who added mostly negative things in my life, in my life. 

WHAT OLD BELIEFS DID YOU LET GO OF?Did you shed some old stories and opinions this year? Did you begin to see yourself in a different — hopefully more positive — way? What old bullshit did you finally throw in the trash?I haven't fully let go of old beliefs that were fed to me and that I started to believe. Here's to this new year to correct all of those nasty thoughts and create new ones. 

 WHAT WAS ONE THING THAT YOU FOUND REALLY CHALLENGING, BUT CAN NOW SEE SUPPORTED YOUR GROWTH?Extra bonus points if you can find more than one example of this! What gruelling experiences did you have that actually ended up helping you become a better, stronger, braver person? Breaking up with my best friend who added way too much grief and toxicity into my life was by far the hardest thing I've ever gone through.

IF YOU COULD GO BACK IN TIME, WHAT WOULD YOU TELL YOURSELF THIS TIME LAST YEAR?What words of love or wisdom would have helped you face 2016 with more dignity and grace? What advice would you have given yourself? Dang, girl. Some rough stuff is ahead, it's gonna seem impossible to get through (it nearly was), but you're gonna do it and feel SO much better for it. I promise. Can't believe how strong you are. Taken from Gala's post.