Monday, July 25, 2011

1st Day in Santa Cruz.

July 3rd, 2011
 We requested a table outside and our hostess was like, "Are you sure? It's a little hot today.." And my dad, brother and I just looked at each other, completely amazed and sort of laugh-replied, "No it's not."

It was actually on the cooler side the first day we landed (72ish degrees). Cooler as in, Texans would be bundled up. I was still in my "prepared for sweltering hot weather" outfit. And I hope I'm not alone when I say, it's uncomfortable to eat while cold.
We checked into one of the nastiest hotels I have ever stepped foot in. Like, I don't even want to think about it it was so bad. Like, you get eebee geebees while describing it bad. Like, 5 minutes walking distance from the Boardwalk on 4th of July weekend bad. Just kidding about the last one though. 

My parents both went to college in Santa Cruz, so they of course frequented the boardwalk. We have a picture from circa 1988 taken by a great photographer, who also happens to be my dad's close friend, of the cable cars. It's hanging in our living room and I remember staring at it when I was younger trying to figure out how it was even possible to do that.
We walked down after checking in and I was a little surprised.. I don't know what I was expecting, but it was sort of the equivalent to a Six Flags over Texas, but on the beach. Same sorta food, people, and rides; just a little smaller. I guess I was just expecting People Are Strange by Echo and the Bunnymen to be playing on repeat the whole time...
I hope you know that The Lost Boys, funniest film ever, was filmed in Santa Cruz. And that carousel up there? That's the same carousel as: The Lost Boys (1987) - Opening Scene (0:41) ♥
 (This is higher than you think. And so says the girl in the picture who is about to puke.)
(#9 Jake, #10 a monkey, #11 my dad and I.)
(views.)

Then we were off to roller coasters and the arcade before it got too dark. 
(view from the beach Boardwalk at night.)