I woke up this morning to see my good friend, Will, who came back into town for the weekend from college. He goes to the same church as my mom (where I met him), so I told him I'd drive up after the service to say hi, and afterward I was invited to get lunch with my mom and Sarah, who used to coordinate youth ministries I guess.
When I got to the church I hugged the pastor on the way in (while everyone was going out) and she just stopped and looked and me and went, "You are so cute. Every time I see you I just think, 'She is so precious.'" (imagine that in a Peggy Hill accent though, because that's exactly who she sounds like) And she gives me a big hug while I'm totally caught off guard and blushing and beaming. It was so nice to hear that. I actually feel like crying right now because I have been in the pits of self-loathing for the past month, where nothing has really reached me. (And also too because I really, really like her. So weird, but she just has the best, nurturing energy and always makes me feel so welcome and comfortable in an environment that I usually think is completely undesirable.)
So other than that and getting to see Will, who always sort of grounds me and helps me put things into perspective, I got to eat lunch with one of the coolest women I have ever met. Honestly, after every time I see Sarah I'm always left hoping to one day be just like her. We talked about feminism, church politics, and social anxiety at this little sports-bar sushi place. And she sends me links to Dia de los Muertos festivals and the new Florence and the Machine album on Facebook...She's just so lovely - her thoughts and views about everything, the way she carries herself, how real she is, and how love is enough.
I am pretty in love with the way today went. I've been feeling so drippy and it seems like everyone in my life is so heavy, being a ball and chain on my foot, so getting to spend time with her was so achingly light, and beautiful, and I almost cried in the middle of it because I was so happy to be with her.
I also want to talk about how I saw Get Low today and how I also almost threw up and definitely had a panic attack, but I'm too tired.