"Small cheer and great welcome makes a merry feast."
-William Shakespeare
Guess what?...After driving in traffic all day (and in the wrong direction for one hour) to Wimberley the day before Thanksgiving.. I woke up Thanksgiving morning with preseptal cellulitis. ...hmm
My aunt is, conveniently, an optometrist so she called in a prescription to the next town (cause you know, Wimberley doesn't have any pharmacies) to get me started on antibiotics. I took two on a kind of empty stomach (hello first rule of having a successful Thanksgiving) and spent the rest of the morning just slumped in bed repeating, "Don't throw up, don't throw up, don't throw up." to myself. I was so disappointed to think about the possibility that my stomach wouldn't be able to handle any turkey later in the day.. but it changed it's mind.
"Now that I think about it, Thanksgiving is nothing BUT experiencing food-related pain. Your starved stomach is in agony until you stuff it with fat and then it’s in another type of pain for the rest of the night. Cool."
My uncle pretty much cooked everything.. so honestly, it was just waiting around for my parents and grandparents to arrive to eat...
Mint & brown butter corn, Sage-salted cauliflower, baked and fried turkey, small honey ham, garlic mashed potatoes, checkerboard yams, green bean casserole, Hawaiian rolls, from scratch cranberry sauce (which was the only thing that I contributed). And football (who cares) and pumpkin & apple pie for dessert.