Thursday, February 7, 2013

Things to stop doing forever

Some of these are really contradictory, but...

  • Seeking to fill my ego before my soul. Distinguishing between the two and placing my priority squarely on soul-fulfilling actions and choices.
  • Assuming I’m not creative. Life itself is a creative act, and every day I can create myself just the way I want to be.
  • Living below my standards. Knowing my standards, and living up to them.
  • Stagnating. Always continuing to actively grow and learn.
  • Accepting boredom. I either find the beauty in the moment or I take action to create energy and enthusiasm.
  • Feeling guilty. Ask for forgiveness, right any wrongs, restore integrity, let it go.
  • Suffocating my feelings. Expressing myself fully, asking for what I need, and seeking help to resolve feelings I can’t handle alone.
  • Always needing to be in control. Accepting “what is”, brings me freedom.
  • Fighting what comes naturally. Going with the flow strengthens my strength.
  • Waiting for other people to decide. Having the self-confidence to initiate.
  • Living beyond my means. Knowing that debt is an enormous energy drain and reclaiming that energy is far more important than material things.
  • Isolating myself. Knowing that it takes effort to sustain relationships, and seeing the value in that.
  • Ignoring my intuition. Trusting my instincts and listening to my own wisdom.
  • Allowing other people to waste my time. Taking the necessary steps to avoid them and know that it is not my job to educate them.
  • Accepting anxiety, depression or ill-health. Doing everything in my power to restore my mental and physical health because I know good health is the foundation for a happy life.
  • Saying yes when I mean no. I am a master at saying no even when I know it might upset someone.
  • Compromising my values. Knowing what my values are, and I completely orienting my life around them.
  • Defining myself by my achievements or roles. I define myself by the actions and choices I make in every moment.
  • Trying to prove myself. I live according to my own values and personal operating system.
  • Owning other people’s problems. I will support, listen, and love, but I no longer manage or invest myself in other people’s difficulties.
  • Putting work, money, or projects before those I love. Relationships are the most important thing in my life, and I act like it.
  • Trying to change people. Accepting people exactly as they are or getting out. (This doesn’t mean not asking for something you need from the relationship.)
  • Putting other people’s needs before my own. Recognizing that unless my cup is mostly full, I can’t be available to lovingly give to others.
  • Tolerating bullshit from other people. No longer hanging around with people who diminish me, drain my energy, or treat me poorly.